Anatomy and Character Sculpture: Projects

 ANATOMY AND CHARACTER SCULPTURE


06.04.2023 - 06.07.2023 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Maisarah bt Muhd Zamri
Anatomy and Character Sculpture
Project 1, 2, Final



Project 1

I took Character Design some semesters ago so I decided I'd just use that character to sculpt for the projects. 

Fig 1 (Wores Bovid)
No hair, no ears. Bless.


Fig 2 (Character block-out)
  • Started with the base shape/anatomy.
  • Added the clothes.
  • Made several deductions from the original outfit to make it easier to sculpt (for now).

Fig 3.1 (Head/face)
  • He looks scary (o_o)
  • His eyeballs are too big and they're kind of bulging a bit.
  • I shall not make the same mistake of merging the eyeballs with the rest of the head this time.

Fig 3.2 (Face/Expression colored)
  • Mans looks like he doesn't wanna be here.
  • I label "colored" but there's no color on him XD
    • I created this character with grey skin, therefore it still looks uncolored.
  • Lect said to give him a lil more human skin color because it looks too dark right now.

Project 2

Details/texture

Fig 4 (Top)
  • Tight clothes that hugs the body. uwu
    • Mainly because I usually design my characters with clothes that follows the shape of the body.
    • Also this means I only have to extract masked part of the body and make little changes to them.

Fig 4.2 (Turnaround)
  • What are those bOOTS LMAO THEY'RE SO UGLY.
    • I am quickly reminded that I have no idea how to properly sculpt the shoes. 
    • However, I do know the basic shapes that is used to draw shoes, and I shall use this knowledge to sculpt the boots. 
  • Man's got dainty limbs.
    • The arms and legs are too small if compared to the torso (the proportions don't add up).

Fig 4.4 (Turnaround - Colored)
  • The thighs could be fuller (thiccer).
    • Sharpen certain parts for stylization.
  • The shin needs to be slightly fixed.
  • The boots are still a travesty.
  • I have yet to give him skin color.

Final

Details/Pose

Fig 5.1 (Added Props)
  • Mans look more like how I envisioned him now. b( ̄▽ ̄*)
  • So I made a few changes from my og design (Fig 1). 
    • The white shirt stops at the waist.
    • Ditched the sling bag.
    • Added instead a little bag strapped to the leg.

Fig 5.2 (Turnaround)
  • He is thicc now.
  • Obviously this isn't the final.
    • The cloak is too smooth.
    • I feel the folds on the haramaki seems excessive, but I don't know how to undo ;;;;;
    • Why is he leaning forward?? DX
  • ZBrush crashed this one time and I almost lost all the new addition I made to the model. Thank god for quicksave.
  • Lect has probably given up on asking me to give this character human skin color, so this color he shall remain. 

Fig 5.3 (Rigging attempt)
  • Broooooooooo what the foooooork ༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽
  • The mesh becomes a blocky mess when I try to move the body part around. 
  • I acknowledge that this problem could maybe be solved with a simple zremesh. 
  • However:
    • "zremesh.exe - System Error"
    • "The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR120.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."
    • I wasn't able to use this feature for whatever reason, and I am too afraid to reinstall the program and risk losing all the work I've done.
  • Since I am unable to rig my model with the ZSphere technique, the only other way to do it is to mask parts of the body and move them accordingly.
    • Because of this, I wasn't able to pose the model the way I wanted to.
    • Instead, the model is just standing still. ( ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ)

Fig 6.1 (Final Turnaround)

Fig 6.2 (Poster - Horizontal)

Fig 6.3 (Poster - Vertical)
  • I don't know if this is too much color or if the colors are drowning the model, but this is what I came up with. 
  • I didn't want to put gradient black background, because that would've been too dark, with him having grey skin and all.
  • The white shirt is the one element that is supposed to be the contrast to all the other dark colors he wears, but the white doesn't show very well. 

  • I am still a bit disappointed that I couldn't pose the model the way I wanted to.
    • In hindsight, I could've gotten a solution to this issue if I'd brought this up in class or something, but I discovered this problem while I was on my absent streak and I was afraid i was already too late to ask for help.
    • And frankly, I thought I could manage without zremesh.
  • The end result isn't terrible, though. I'm satisfied with it. :)
  • A lot of this was done through trial and error, especially with things I am too cowardly to ask for help with, so having managed to do this much, I don't feel terrible. :))




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Design Exploration

Game Art: Exercise