Vehicle and Props Design: Projects

 VEHICLE AND PROPS DESIGN


04.04.2023 - 04.07.2023 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Maisarah bt Muhd Zamri
Vehicle and Props Design
Project 1, 2, Final


Project 1

Fig 1.1 (Moodboard)
  • I've added a bit more on the moodboard with more references of the artstyle and elements that are usually incorporated in the vehicle designs.

  • I notice that Ghibli films have more noticeable air vehicles that other types of vehicles.
  • While I did initially want to challenge myself and try to design a land vehicle that would imitate Ghibli flims' artsyle, I am quickly humbled when I realize I cannot brain a fresh design.
  • So I decided to stay in the comfort zone.
Fig 1.2 (Silhouette)

Fig 1.3 (Thumbnail)
  • Honestly, coming up with these 10 designs took me wa--y too long.
  • I was still kind of hung up on the land vehicle idea (that I didn't have and designs of) so it took me a while to focus on the airships' designs.

Fig 1.4 (Value painting)
  • Okay, hear me out; I was absent for three weeks, so this really was a rushed work.
  • Those three weeks, I've been trying to come up with a land vehicle design, and as mentioned, failed, which is why I stuck to airships which is a vehicle Ghibli films have a lot.
  • And I knoooooooooow this doesn't look Ghibli. 
    • Some other design from the thumbnails probably looks more Ghibli than this.
    • But y'all. I was waaay past deadline and this is probably the one I've thought out most design-wise.
  • I did keep Ghibli in mind when designing this, but if it doesn't show, I have only myself to blame. 

Project 2

Interior / Cockpit

Fig 2.1 (Base / Rough sketch)

Fig 2.2 (Rough blender render)
  • This is me trying out Blender for the first time.
    • I did try it out for the exercises, but this is the first time I actually try to for real build something.
  • For practice, this isn't bad. I managed to get the shapes there.

Fig 2.3 (Sketch feedback)
  • Bruh I liked how I took down these feedbacks that I decided to put in my blog.
    • Incorporate other shapes instead of only squares.
    • Add more curvature to the headboard to match the steering wheel.
    • Roof control panel is too much.
    • Add other elements (levers and stuff) somewhere.
    • Make it more fun.
    • Add some props.

Fig 2.4 (Cockpit progress gif)
  • Bruh I loved it so much I decided to make a gif out of it ( ´ 艸`)
  • This is why I run out of time to do things that actually matter ( ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ)

Fig 2.5 (Refined - Monotone)

Fig 2.6 (Refined - Value painting)
  • I added a little bit of asymmetry in the design.
    • The base structure of the headboard is symmetrical, but the "decoration" is different.
  • Left side has more monitors.
  • Right side has more 'personality'.

Fig 2.7 (Blender front view)

Fig 2.8 (Blendr 3/4 view)

Fig 2.9 (Blendr)
  • Eyooooooooooooooooo I actually like this.
  • All that's left is to close the ugly gap between the headboards and add texture (and the windshield I guess).
  • There's actually some elements I haven't incorporated in there so it's not fully completed yet.
  • I'm not sure if I should include the roof controls.
    • I'm not gonna

Final

Details, Final render, Props

Fig 3.1 (Exterior)

Fig 3.2 (Interior)

Fig 3.3 (Interior - Blender)
  • I'll be real; when I first designed the cockpit, I imagined it to be more spacious. This looks cramped as hacc.
  • It might be because of the darkness. Dark colors make spaces look smaller, right?
  • I went with orange-ish/peachy color initially, but it wouldn't have matched the exterior. 
    • The exterior with orange-ish/peachy color was not it.

Fig 3.4 (Props - Headboard Accessories)
  • I wanted to include these headboard accessories in the interior drawing, but I ran out of time.

  • I'm aware that the end product leaves much to be desired.
  • Honestly, there was so many things I planned to do that I didn't end up doing.
  • I spend all my time thinking of what I could do, and ultimately lose time to actually do it. 
  • I could list out the things I planned on doing here, to somehow justify my so-so work, but that wouldn't amount to anything. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Design Exploration

Game Art: Exercise